Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Should I adopt a kid?

I've been thinking about the age-old abortion debate again, looking at some vitriole from both sides, and I think it's pretty clear that everyone except Margarate Sanger look-alikes actually want abortions. (Though anyone who is excited by the statistics in Freakonomics which show that more abortions lead to less crime should be saddened at themselves. Can you imagine? Killing off our criminal class? And we don't mean Martha Stewart, of course.) People don't have abortions just for fun; they have them because they can't bear to face the alternative, because they can't afford a kid or because they can't imagine it cutting into their career or social prospects or whatever. All that loud rhetoric about women's choice comes afterwards.

So if we're going to try to stop abortion by hanging out with signs in front of clinics, maybe we should write on them: "If you can't keep your child, can I have her?" Maybe charity should start at home, in other words: maybe we just need to be willing to adopt the loveless and the lost, ourselves.

Not now, though. I mean, I can't afford to adopt anyone right now. Not to mention that it would wreck my career and social life.

[I think www.therose.ca does something along these lines, though not exactly. Worth looking into.]

1 comment:

Jim L said...

By everyone do you mean no one?